Re: ICU for global collation

От Finnerty, Jim
Тема Re: ICU for global collation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10.01.22 12:49, Daniel Verite wrote:

> I think some users would want their db-wide ICU collation to be
> case/accent-insensitive.
> IIRC, that was the context for some questions where people were
> enquiring about db-wide ICU collations.

+1.  There is the DEFAULT_COLLATION_OID, which is the cluster-level default collation, a.k.a. the "global collation",
asdistinct from the "db-wide" database-level default collation, which controls the default type of the collatable types
withinthat database.

On 1/11/22, 6:24 AM, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

>  Adding this would be easy, but since pattern matching currently does not
>  support nondeterministic collations, if you make a global collation
>  nondeterministic, a lot of system views, psql, pg_dump queries etc.
>  would break, so it's not practical.  I view this is an orthogonal
>  project.  Once we can support this without breaking system views etc.,
>  then it's easy to enable with a new column in pg_database.

So this patch only enables the default cluster collation (DEFAULT_COLLATION_OID) to be a deterministic ICU collation,
butdoesn't extend the metadata in a way that would enable database collations to be ICU collations?

Waiting for the pattern matching problem to be solved in general before creating the metadata to support ICU collations
everywherewill make it more difficult for members of the community to help solve the pattern matching problem.

What additional metadata changes would be required to enable an ICU collation to be specified at either the
cluster-levelor the database-level, even if new checks need to be added to disallow a nondeterministic collation to be
specifiedat the cluster level for now?