Re: ICU for global collation

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: ICU for global collation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 07:07:38PM +0000, Finnerty, Jim wrote:
>     On 10.01.22 12:49, Daniel Verite wrote:
>
> > I think some users would want their db-wide ICU collation to be
> > case/accent-insensitive.
> > IIRC, that was the context for some questions where people were
> > enquiring about db-wide ICU collations.
>
> +1.  There is the DEFAULT_COLLATION_OID, which is the cluster-level default
> collation, a.k.a. the "global collation", as distinct from the "db-wide"
> database-level default collation, which controls the default type of the
> collatable types within that database.

There's no cluster-level default collation, and DEFAULT_COLLATION_OID is always
database-level (and template1 having a specific default collation).  The
template0 database is there to be able to support different databases with
different default collations, among other things.

So this patchset would allow per-database default ICU collation, although not
non-deterministic ones.