Re: Microsoft access verses postgresql

От Geoffrey
Тема Re: Microsoft access verses postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Kaarel wrote:
>> I've got a client who is following my suggestion that they replace a
>> set of excel spreadsheets with a database solution.  They are looking
>> at two proposals, postgresql solution or an Access solution.  The
>> requirements will include vpn connectivity from one site to another.
>> It appears they will be going with the Access solution.  I've got
>> concerns regarding this based on research I've done that seems to
>> indicate that Access, when used in a multi-user solution is easily
>> corrupted.  Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with such issues?
>

> As far as I am concerned, Access is a bad joice if the data needs to be
> accessed from more than one application at the same time. But if Excel
> worked well enough and only one person is working with the data, then
> Access might do just well.

Multiple people were attempting to access the excel spreadsheets.  Their
solution was for any person who modifies the spreadsheet was to copy it
to the other 4 computers.  Yes, that's correct.  I suggested a db
solution from the beginning, but they didn't want to spend the $$$, so I
suggested placing the excel spreadsheets on a single file server, thus
only one person could access a spreadsheet at one time and no more
copying files across their network.

--
Until later, Geoffrey    esoteric@3times25.net

Сообщение: Re: Microsoft access verses postgresql
Сообщение: Re: Microsoft access verses postgresql