Re: Internet based database

От Stuart Johnston
Тема Re: Internet based database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Russell Crosser wrote:
> I maintain an internet site. The host is linux based and uses postgres on
> the server.
> I wish to install a smallish database (of names and addresses +) on the
> host, and allow it to be accessed over the internet (by a restricted number
> of people).
> I have the database working locally on a MS Access database, but would
> expect to transfer it to a postgresql database on the server.
> My question is: What is the method of operating such a database over the
> internet? Do I write an application to use at home which sends postgress
> queries to the server, or do I access the server-based postgres program
> using HTML or some other method?

Either of these approaches will work.  Your application can run on your
home machine and access the Pg database on the server through TCP/IP.
You can limit TCP/IP access to your IP address to improve security.

Running everything on the server and using a web interface is probably
more common as it allows you to easily access it from any web-enabled
computer and you can let other users input data as well, if you want.

If you are basically doing an address book, I'm sure there are plenty
free ones available.  Some good places to look:

freshmeat.net, sourceforge.net, hostscripts.com

and here's one, for example:

http://www.extropia.com/applications.html