Re: database tuning

От Erik Jones
Тема Re: database tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Dec 11, 2007, at 5:18 PM, kelvan wrote:

> you know what you lot have left my original question this server is a
> temporary piece of shit
>
> my original question is what are the overheads for postgres but
> obviously no
> one knows or no one knows where a webpage containing this
> information is -_-
>
> overhead information i would to know is row overheads column
> overheads and
> header overheads for blocks and anything else i have missed
>
> trust me postgres and a Mac don't like working together you have no
> idea the
> amount of problems we have incurred with php trying to talk to
> postgres on a
> Mac out biggest problem is Mac tecs are incompetent and we cannot
> get any
> support for the server I know postgres connects fine just we cannot
> get it
> working on the Mac so I love your guys ideas but they don't work
> that's why
> I have had to take another approach if we were not using a Mac we
> would have
> none of the problems we have with connection issues such as php
> seems to
> want to take up 20 db connections at a time but I think we fixed that
> problem overall our problem is the Mac and we cannot get it support
>
> neither I nor the web app developer are Mac savvy hell as far as we
> have
> seen no Mac tec is Mac savvy either we cannot get parts of postgres
> to run
> on a Mac either such as pgagent which is necessary for us but we
> cannot seem
> to find a daemon that works on a Mac
>
> I have a list of problems a mile long and none of them are postgres
> it is
> the Mac
>
> so minus all that as the Mac is only a temporary solution can
> anyone just
> answer the original question for me if not and I mean no offence to
> anyone
> but I really don't care as I am going to re do it all later down
> the track
>
> as I have said your ideas sound good just not Mac oriented nor are
> they to
> do with my original question I have never had trouble finding overhead
> information on any other DBMS I have used this is the first time I
> have had
> to ask for it and since this DBMS is open source I have to ask a
> community
> rather than a company
>
> if anyone is wondering why I don't switch now money and time are
> not on my
> side
>
> and for those who wonder why don't I leave this job is big time
> just starts
> off small time but the potential of this job is very nice and as
> they say if
> [...]

Kelvan,  proper capitalization and punctuation are virtues when
trying to communicate extensively via text mediums.  I, for one, read
the first couple and last couple of lines of this message after
gruelingly reading your last message and I wouldn't be surprised if
others with more experience and better answers at the ready simply
ignored both as that much text is extremely difficult to follow in
the absence those aforementioned virtues.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888