Re: Picture with Postgres and Delphi

От Guy Fraser
Тема Re: Picture with Postgres and Delphi
Дата
Список pgsql-general
What is the size limit of bytea, I thought it was 8K?

How do you dump your database when you have bytea, do you need to do a
binary dump?

What are you using to insert the binary data?

Thank you in advance.

Guy

Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

>>For the education of me and maybe others too, why was
>>that?  i.e. what problems did you run into, that bytea avoids?
>>

>Compared to the filesystem, bytea provides data integrity.
>
>Bytea gives you remote access, which you can cache if needed.
>
>Bytea gives you the same permissions as anything else in Postgres, so you
>don't have to worry about that separately.
>
>Compared to BLOBs, bytea's are just simpler.  You can select them with a
>single statement, you don't have to worry about leaving unreferenced
>BLOBs, and, after 4 billion inserts, byteas are still meaningful while
>BLOBs might not be. (due to OID problems).
>
>Jon

>>Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
>>http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Guy Fraser
Network Administrator
The Internet Centre
780-450-6787 , 1-888-450-6787

There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you
will certainly discover things the meek and timid will miss out on.