Re: Replaceing records

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Replaceing records
Дата
Re: Replaceing records
Список pgsql-general
It was not meant against anyone in person and I agree that nested
transactions and/or catchable exceptions and continuing afterwards is
usefull and missing in PostgreSQL. What Stephan and Richard where
actually discussing was more like emulating the REPLACE INTO, and I was
responding to that.

However, even with nested transactions and exceptions and all that, your
problem will not be cleanly solvable. You basically have 2 choices,
trying the INSERT first and if that fails with a duplicate key then do
the UPDATE, or try the UPDATE first and if no rows got hit do an INSERT.
Now if 2 concurrent transactions do try the UPDATE they can both not
find the row and do INSERT - one has a dupkey error. But if you try to
INSERT and get a duplicate key, in the time between you get the error
and issue the UPDATE someone else can issue a DELETE - the row is gone
and your UPDATE will fail.

So you have to go into a loop and try INSERTorUPDATEorINSERT... until
you either get bored or succeed ... that's not exactly what I call a
solution.

Jan