Re: [HACKERS] Question about Scripting in Postgresql.

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Question about Scripting in Postgresql.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 05 September 2003 00:24, Nico King wrote:
[moving this to pgsql-general]
> The reason that I have to write a script to enter the
> data into the tables is that what if I have to enter
> 1000 lines of data into 200 rows??
> here is a piece of my script that works but not when I
> enter lets' say a char instead of integer.
> copy accounts from stdin using delimiters ',';
> 1,pass,mac,,,
> 2,pass2,mac2,ip,test
> 0,pass2,mac2,ip,test2
> \.

Sorry - don't understand. Assuming your values are the right type for the
columns that looks OK to me.

> I have written a script to import some data into
> my database tables, with the delimiter ','. Now my
> question is sometime the data being sent to my tables
> might not match the data type or be corrupted and I
> receive an error message.
> One: how could I prevent that?

Don't try and put bad data into the batch. It's designed so that if you
automate importing batches of data the operation isn't left in some half-done
state.

> Two: how can I proceed with importing the rest of the
> data into the next record even though some are
> corrupted,'cause I get intrupted as soon as there is
> an error in inserting the data?

Sounds like you want to write a small Perl script to take your data, strip out
anything obviously bad and then insert it in batches. If you have a lot of
bad data you can do it one row at a time, if not transactions of say 100 rows
at a time might be better.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd