Re: Backup routine

От Dani Oderbolz
Тема Re: Backup routine
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Enio,

Enio Schutt Junior wrote:

> Hi
>
> Here, where I work, the backups of the postgresql databases are being
> done the following way:
> There is a daily copy of nearly all the hd (excluding /tmp, /proc,
> /dev and so on) in which databases are
> and besides this there is also one script which makes the pg_dump of
> each one of the databases on the server.

Hmm, I don't really see what you are doing with a backup of /tmp, /proc,
/dev/tmp, /proc, /dev.
I mean /tmp might be ok, but /proc shouldnt be backuped in my opinion,
as /proc is NOT on your hd,
but pointing directly to Kernel Memory.
I would not dare to restore such a Backup!
And /dev as well, I mean, these are your devices, so its completely
Hardwarebound.

> This daily copy of the hd is made with postmaster being active
> (without stopping the daemon), so the data
> from /usr/local/pgsql/data would not be 100% consistent, I guess.

You need to stop Postgres, else forget about your backup.
The DB might not even come up again.
Here at my site, we have a nice little script, which can be configured to
do certain actions before doing a backup of a given directory,
and also after the backup.

> There are some questions I have about this backup routine:
> If I recover data from that "inconsistent" backup hd, I know that the
> binary files (psql, pg_dump and so on)
> will remain ok. The data may have some inconsistencies. Would these
> inconsistencies let the postmaster
> start and work properly (that is, even with the possible presence of
> inconsistent data) Would it start and
> be able to work normally and keep the information about users and
> groups? I am talking about users and
> groups information because these ones are not dumped by pg_dump. I was
> thinking about using
> "pg_dump -g" to generate this information.

I would really not go down this road.

Regards,
Dani