Re: ext3 block size

От Dani Oderbolz
Тема Re: ext3 block size
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Wilson A. Galafassi Jr. wrote:

> hello.
> my database size is 5GB. what is the block size recommend?
> thanks
> wilson

Hmm, IMHO this depends more on your IO System
rather than on the DB size.
It doesnt make sense to have a blocksize which your IO System
(HD, Controller...) cannot fetch in one read.
And it also depends on the type of Processing you are doing.
If you will have mostly big tablescans, a big blocksize is good,
whereas if you will be doing lots of Index acess, a lower one
can make more sense.
(And also if you store lots of data in one row).
In general I guess 8K (the default) is ok,
but 16K can make sense.

Regards,
Dani