Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL

От Timothy Brier
Тема Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have been working with various databases since the 80's.

Terence Chang wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I am new to PostgreSQL DB, however I have years experience with Oracle 8i
> and MS SQL. I am in the process to promot PostgreSQL to my future client,
> due to the cost. I am just wondering if overall people feels frustrated with
> PostgreSQL or feels happey with it.
>
> I know MySQL is simpiler and cheap. With my years experience with enterprise
> level DB like Oracle and MS SQL, I just don't feel right with MySQL. I love
> stored procedure. Sorry to MySQL lovers.
>
> I have the following questions. Please reply me offline, so the mailling
> list won't get flood. Thanks!
> 1. What is your favorite GUI tool for PostgreSQL?
I use PGAdmin for a quick conversion of Indexes and Tables from MS-SQL.
   /access  But for other items I either use the command line or EMS
PostgreSQL Manager - This is the favorite tool of the developers I have
working on various projects.

We develope web applications and applicationsin Delphi, C++
> 2. In your organization, do you have someone who works as full time
> PostgreSQL DBA?
No.

> 3. What is the biggest challenge you have with PostgreSQL? Administration or
> Programming?
My biggest challenge is getting funding to convert other projects
completed using MS-SQL to PostgreSQL, but they are coming around.

PostgreSQL has been very easy to program and administer.

> 4. Overall, do you like PostgreSQL? Would you recommend it over MySQL?
Coming from a background where data integrity is a high priority as well
as performance - it's PostgrSQL hands down.

> 5. How often do your PostgreSQL run into problem or crash? Are most of the
> problem caused by PostgreSQL itself?
It hasn't for over five years.

> Any suggestion and help are welcome. Thanks!

Tim.

От: Ron Johnson
Сообщение: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
От: "Dan Langille"
Сообщение: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL