Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages

Список
Период
Сортировка
От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Дерево обсуждения
Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
 Re: Extreme high load averages  (Richard Huxton, )
  Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
   Re: Extreme high load averages  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
  Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
   Re: Extreme high load averages  (Dennis Björklund, )
    Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
     Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
      Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
       Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
        Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
        Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
     Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Sean Chittenden, )
 Re: Extreme high load averages  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
  Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
   Re: Extreme high load averages  (Shridhar Daithankar, )
    Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
     Re: Extreme high load averages  ("scott.marlowe", )
      Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
      Re: Extreme high load averages  ("Matthew Nuzum", )
On 9 Jul 2003 at 23:37, Martin Foster wrote:

> By fixing the script and doing the appropriate full vacuum and re-index,
> the system is behaving much more like it should.  Even if the process
> may seem a bit odd to some.
>
> The reason for removing rows on a daily basis is due to the perishable
> nature of the information.  Since this is a chat site, posts over a day
> old are rarely needed for any reason.   Which is why they are archived
> into dumps in case we really need to retrieve the information itself and
> this gives us the added bonus of smaller backup sizes and smaller
> database sizes.

I have an idea.

How about creating a table for each day. Use it for a while and rename it.
Since you can rename a table in transaction, it should not be a problem.

You can use inheritance if you want to query all of them. Using indexes and
foregin keys on inherited tables is a problem though.

That way deletion would be avoided and so would vacuum. It should be mich
lighter on the system overall as well.

Tell us if it works.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Kaufman's Law:    A policy is a restrictive document to prevent a recurrence    of a
single incident, in which that incident is never mentioned.