Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages

От: Martin Foster
Тема: Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
 Re: Extreme high load averages  (Richard Huxton, )
  Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
   Re: Extreme high load averages  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
  Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
   Re: Extreme high load averages  (Dennis Björklund, )
    Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
     Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
      Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
       Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
        Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
        Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
     Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Sean Chittenden, )
 Re: Extreme high load averages  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
  Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
   Re: Extreme high load averages  (Shridhar Daithankar, )
    Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
     Re: Extreme high load averages  ("scott.marlowe", )
      Re: Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster, )
      Re: Extreme high load averages  ("Matthew Nuzum", )

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> I have an idea.
>
> How about creating a table for each day. Use it for a while and rename it.
> Since you can rename a table in transaction, it should not be a problem.
>
> You can use inheritance if you want to query all of them. Using indexes and
> foregin keys on inherited tables is a problem though.
>
> That way deletion would be avoided and so would vacuum. It should be mich
> lighter on the system overall as well.
>
> Tell us if it works.
>
> Bye
>  Shridhar

Generally I won't be pulling 250K rows from that table.   It's
maintained nightly during the general cleanup process where stale users,
rooms and posts are removed from the system.   Then the system runs a
normal VACUUM ANALYSE to get things going again smoothly.

Once a week a more detailed archiving takes place which runs an all out
vaccume and re-index.    That's the so called plan at least.

As for creating a new table, that in itself is a nice idea.   But it
would cause issues for people currently in the realm.   Their posts
would essentially dissapear from site and cause more confusion then its
worth.

Inheritance would work, but the database would essentially just grow and
grow and grow right?

BTW, I can't thank you all enough for this general advice.   It's
helping me get this thing running very smoothly.

    Martin Foster
    Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms