Re: wxWindows Build

От Raphaël Enrici
Тема Re: wxWindows Build
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi Dave,

Dave Page wrote:

>OK. I will (time allowing), add a patched wx2.5 tarball to Snake for use as our 'supported' version. Due to the
changesin wx, we should probably stick with this version (fixing any bugs we find ourselves) until 2.5 is formally
released.Sound OK? wxPython is a non-issue. We only use it for running XRCed (the XRC dialogue editor), and that uses
wxPython2.3 on my system.

>>Testing and Unstable : we are obliged for the moment to link
>>without unicode support and against wxWindows 2.4 + GTK 1.2
>>if we want to be able to integrate official debian
>>repository. Ron Lee who is responsible of wxWindows debian
>>packages will surely release a cvs snapshot package of 2.5
>>and I've asked him if it is possible to integrate unicode support.
>>

>This probably won't wrk with the current build system which we (well, Adam) recently ripped 2.4 support out of. I
don'tbelieve adding a simple 2.4 option will be a problem however - I will look at it tomorrow (again, time allowing).

>>Experimental : here we can do about everything we want, so I
>>I'll  produce a wxWindows 2.5 with gtk2 and unicode in it
>>specific to pgadmin3.
>>

>Sounds like a plan to me. I will create an account on Snake for you to upload your work to so you are not dependent on
anyof us.

Ok, many things have changed since this mail... Ron Lee contacted me
today concerning my intention to upload  some wxwindows 2.5 package into
debian 'experimental' : he totally disagree with this.
He told me once again that he will release an official snapshot as soon
as it will be more stable....

That's for the bad news.

Good news, he is planning to build 2.5/2.6 of wxWindows with unicode and
gtk2 support... So we won't have to do the job for this in future
release. :)

Here is my new "plan" :
may be it's too early to upload pgadmin3 to the official debian
repository (I'll keep on trying building against wxWindows 2.4, which
works well for me for the moment... I mean that my package do build on
it about two days ago).
I'am now building some wxWindows 2.5 packages based on checkout of the
CVS 2003-06-18 (it should be this one unless I did some mistake in cvs
line...) and I patched them with the string.cpp from Andreas Pflug :
these packages are quite the same as Jean-Michel's one and are called :
pgadmin3-libwxgtk2ud2.5-contrib_2.5-20030618_i386.deb
pgadmin3-libwxgtk2ud2.5-dev_2.5-20030618_i386.deb
pgadmin3-libwxgtk2ud2.5_2.5-20030618_i386.deb
Please tell me when your patched tarball will be available so that I
build packages with it.

They are static (no more shared) libraries and headers needed to build
pgadmin3. I prefixed package's name with 'pgadmin3' so to be sure there
won't be a clash with future official debian packages names. These
packages should not be installed unless you want to do some development
on pgadmin3.

I now build pgadmin3 linked statically against these versions of
wxWindows (just as Jean-Michel's does with RPMS).
As I think we can't integrate debian for the moment, we don't need to be
fully compliant with its policy....

As soon as some official debian packages will be available that permit a
good integration of pgadmin3 I will go to some more compliant build.

As I said in the mail before, any suggestions are welcome.

Dave, thank you for the account, don't hesitate to contact me if you
need some information.

Another thing :
I need to know the "upstream author" to complete the package form from
debian, who shall I write down ?
you ? pgadmin development team ? and which email ? yours or
pgadmin-hackers ?

best,

Raphaël