Re: PostgreSQL calibration

От Dani Oderbolz
Тема Re: PostgreSQL calibration
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Chris Gamache wrote:

>What's your thought on creating some type of calibration applet that will
>divine proper settings for the PostgreSQL performance related variables by
>taking into consideration the speed of the machine, amount of RAM, access time
>of the filesystem, and the speed of various queries on a standardized (perhaps
>non-standardized?) dataset under different conditions?

Other RDBMS offer such options.
I know "Oracle Expert", its resultls are not very striking.
But surely, there is a demand for such tools.
Oracle expert considers the following data (among others)
- RAM
- Number of CPUs
- I/O bandwidth
- Current Statments in cache
- You can fed it with Statements your Application generates (can also
be captured)

But I think it is hard to get precise results,
as the program needs a lot of intelligence...

Cheers, Dani