Re: Translation issue: use of "%s"

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: Translation issue: use of "%s"
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Just a small remark about translation. The string "Create a new %s" cannot be
>translated into several languages.
>
>1) In French, "new"  will be translated "nouveau", "nouvelle" or "nouvel".
>Writing "nouveau/nouvel/nouvelle" is tedious. Nearly all European languages,
>except English are impacted.
>
>2) In some other languages, strings can be aggregated in a single word (like
>in Hungarian and German). Making the translation ***clearly*** impossible.
>
>Therefore, "%s" should rarely be used, except for the integration of
>invariable strings.
>
>3) Examples
>-> working strings:
>"Connected to database: %s"
>"Username: %s"
>"User \"%s\" was disconnected"
>
>-> non-working strings:
>"Click on the %s button"
>"The thread was aborted because %s"
>etc...

We'll have to sort out these problems one by one.
1) In the case of "Creating a new %s", I think it would help if %s is
not only the object name itself ("View", "Table", ...) but includes new
("new view", "new table",  "tableau nouveau", "neue Tabelle", "neuer
Operator"...). I'll be recoding typeNameList[] the next days for this.
Are there any other cases you found in pgadmin.pot?
2) do you have an example in pgAdmin3 for that?

The file notes/prepare_for_translation.txt should be extended to include
grammar hints, would you do that?

Regards,
Andreas

От: Andreas Pflug
Сообщение: Re: Request for help about Debian packaging
От: Jean-Michel POURE
Сообщение: Re: Translation issue: use of "%s"