Re: 7.4 features list

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: 7.4 features list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>We have the patches, we know we (ok, you :-) ) can make them work, so
>let's delay the release as long as required (unless we're talking
>excessive amounts of time here) and get out the Win32 release many
>people have been talking about for 7.4.

I'm just wondering why the win32 port is assumed to be a FEATURE. To me,
a feature is a functionality available on all supported platforms. At
the moment, native win32 just isn't a supported platform. Why not
releasing 7.4 with all stable enhancements on the existing platforms,
and make a 7.4.1 release stating "now we also support the win32 platform"?

Just another suggestion regarding the feature list:
The current implementation of statement triggers is incomplete, making
it virtually useless. At the moment, it's quite like an update statement
that doesn't support a where clause. This should be taken out of the
announced features list, because this would provoke a lot of how-to
mailing list entries that have to be answered "you can't" resulting in
user's frustration. Neil Conway, who made the patch so far, won't have
time to complete it before August or September, and it seems nobody else
has the time to do this until July 1.

Regards,

Andreas