Re: Off topic : world database

От Rudi Starcevic
Тема Re: Off topic : world database
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi all,

A quick email to let you know where I'm at with the 'world database'.
Thanks to all the replies and tips.

I've recieved a couple of off list tips and questions so in order to
reach every one I'll reply via this list.

So far I haven't got all the info together.
Countries like the US and Australia are easy - there's plenty of freely
available data.
Getting the entire globe is another question all together.

I stll have some leads to follow up however those remaining leads will
surely required some dollars.
So far the the best list I have come across is at
http://www.calle.com/world.
This site has Countries and Cities - what's needed is Countries, States
and cities.

I know other site's out there are using the info I'm after.
One site for example is date.com
At this site, a global dating site, no matter which county your from you
will drill down into your
state and then city. Once your logged in you can search for matches and
limit by distance.
One of the many uses for a world database.

I hope to eventually report back with a url and web services for us all
so we can use
this info in the greatest database ever - PG.

Cheers
Kind regards
Rudi.

Rudi Starcevic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a slightly off SQL topic question which I don't think is too
> inappropriate,
> if it is please let me know and I'll not push my luck again of my
> *favorite email list*.
>
> I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and Cities
> of the world.
> I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so distance queries are
> possible.
> I plan to expose this data as an SOAP webservice via xmethods.com for
> others to
> access as well.
>
> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
> would like to
> ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source
> for this info.
> Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
> coordinates.
>
> Thank you kindly,
> Again if this is too off topic let me know and I'll keep all my
> questions strictly to SQL.
> Regards
> Rudi.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: