Re: Off topic : world database

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Off topic : world database
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Rudi Starcevic wrote:
> I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and
> Cities of the world. I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so
> distance queries are possible. I plan to expose this data as an SOAP
> webservice via xmethods.com for others to access as well.
>
> I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
>  would like to ask if someone on this list could point me to or help
> with a source for this info. Ideally I'd like Country,States,and
> Cities with Longitude and Latitude coordinates.

See:  http://www.pawprint.net/wt/beta.php

The program (WorldTime) is free but not open source. It comes with a
file named export.all.txt that includes ID, DSTID, Name, Country,
Region, City, IATA, Code, UTC Offset, Latitude, Longitude, and
Description for each of ~1300 locations world-wide. It isn't clear from
the license whether you can use this file the way you want, but you
could always contact the author and ask. The bottom few lines of the
license.txt read:

"for further information Please contact the author at:
WorldTime@PawPrint.Net
or visit the WorldTime home page @ http://www.pawprint.net/wt/"

HTH,

Joe