Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:

От Jean-Luc Lachance
Тема Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Shridhar,

I must disagree with "that's is an OS's job".
OSs try to be generic.  With databases, we know more about the data
structure.

If a large table could be split (partitioned) based on specific key, we
could expect huge improvements for agregates queries for example when
that key is involved.

Also, DBA must be able to place table on different file systems. They
know more about the application than the OS does.

Even Postgresql has to be told to perform vaccum and analyze.
If the OS had enough intelligence we could trust it to do a good job,
but until then ...

JLL