Re: Problem starting a session

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: Problem starting a session
Дата
Список pgsql-general
news.verizon.net wrote:

> [root@localhost root]# psql test
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>        Is the server running locally and accepting
>        connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> anybody know why I'm getting this error message..... I'm a newbie... please
> point me in the right direction.

Hi Ferindo,

Any idea if PostgreSQL was started with the option to tell it that it
needs to communicate over the network?  By default it uses a system
called Unix Domain Sockets, and doesn't listen to the network.

If you're not sure, then in the PostgreSQL "data" directory there is a
file called "postgresql.conf".  You'll need to change the option there
called "tcpip_socket" to be "true", then restart PostgreSQL.  It should
work after that.

Hope that helps.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,