Re: v7.3.1 psql against a v7.2.x database ...

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: v7.3.1 psql against a v7.2.x database ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>>With ever more larger businesses adopting PostgreSQL, and that leading
>>on to more places having several versions of PostgreSQL in operation
>>simultaneously (i.e. development vs production) we're probably going to
>>need to give psql the ability to handle whichever version of the PG
>>backend it happens to connect to.
>>
>>Marc's suggestion of breaking psql into it's own sub-project makes good
>>sense from that point of view.

Hey, good point.  Giving psql the ability to handle multiple backend
versions could be done in a number of ways.

> Subproject or not, why don't we just rearrange psql to dynamically load a
> library of functions, eg:
>
> libpsql72.so
> libpsql73.so
> etc...
>
> And in them you have functions like:
>
> printTableDef();
> printViewDef();
> etc...

Is this very different from how it's done at present?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Chris

- Indira Gandhi

Сообщение: Re: Can we revisit the thought of PostgreSQL 7.2.4?
Сообщение: Re: Can we revisit the thought of PostgreSQL 7.2.4?