Re: [GENERAL] problem with update rules on a view (ODBC)

От Emmanuel Charpentier
Тема Re: [GENERAL] problem with update rules on a view (ODBC)
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:
> Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent@bacbuc.dyndns.org> writes:
>
>>I am trying to create a small applications using a PostgreSQL 7.2 database,
>>updated through ODBC from an OpenOffice form.
>>I tried my  rules "by hand" in psql : the update works as advertised in the
>>docs. However, I noticed that updating the *real" table gives a message :
>>UPDATE 1
>>after updating the table, while updating the view gives the message
>>UPDATE 0
>>after "updating" the view (i. e. updating the underlying table).
>

> You can control this in 7.3 by adjusting the rule firing order (which
> you do by choosing the names you give to the rules); see
> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/rules-status.html

Thanks a lot ! I will give it a shot. However, I'm a bit reluctant : my
test machine is Debian stable but with some unstable packages : it may
accept the (unstable) Postgres 7.3 package. My production machine, however
is Debian stable and has to remain so (therefore, no "official" 7.3
packages) ... Word going around is that the new libc6 (2.3.x) has some
nasty problems (I've encountered some of them myself : some software
suddenly broken by unmet dynamic linking dependencies ...).

> I am not sure there is any good workaround in 7.2.

Aaaahhhh ... Now, I'll just have to nag Oliver Elphick into making his
Debian-stable-Woody PostgreSQL repository apt-get-able ... :-).

Anyway, a big "Thank you" ! The "Open source" software, and especially the
Postgres team, proves abgain itself much more usable than commercial
solutions when it comes to support.