Re: Big 7.4 items

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Big 7.4 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Win32 Port:
>
>     Katie Ward and Jan are working on contributing their Win32
>     port for 7.4.  They plan to have a patch available by the end of
>     December.

I have .Net Studio available to me, so if you need help in merging or testing
or whatever, let me know.

> Point-In-Time Recovery (PITR)
>
>     J. R. Nield did a PITR patch late in 7.3 development, and Patrick
>     MacDonald from Red Hat is working on merging it into CVS and
>     adding any missing pieces.  Patrick, do you have an ETA on that?

As Hannu asked (and related to your question below), is there any thought of
extending this to allow simple log based replication? In many important
scenarios that would be more than adequate, and simpler to set up.

> Replication
>
>     I have talked to Darren Johnson and I believe 7.4 is the time to
>     merge the Postgres-R source tree into our main CVS.  Most of the
>     replication code will be in its own directory, with only minor
>     changes to our existing tree.  They have single-master
>     replication working now, so we may have that feature in some
>     capacity for 7.4.  I know others are working on replication
>     solutions.  This is probably the time to decide for certain if
>     this is the direction we want to go for replication.  Most who
>     have have studied Postgres-R feel it is the most promising
>     multi-master replication solution for reliably networked hosts.

I'd question if we would want the one-and-only builtin replication method to
be dependent on an external communication library (Spread). I would like to
see Postgres-R merged, but I'd also like to see a simple log-based option.

> Comments?

I'd also second Mike Mascari's question -- whatever happened to the person
working on two-phase commit? Is that likely to be done for 7.4? Did he ever
send in a patch?

Joe