Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

От Scott Lamb
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen wrote:
> However, I seriously question the need in the long term for our sites to be as
> fractured as they are.  Good grief!  We've got advocacy.postgresql.org,
> techdocs.postgresql.org, odbc.postgresql.org, gborg.postgresql.org,
> developer.postgresql.org, jdbc.postgresql.org, etc.  Oh, and we also have
> www.postgresql.org on the side?  I think not.  Oh, and they are fractured in
> their styles -- really, guys, we need a unified style here.

I'd love to see this happen. From reading the messages here, it sounds
like the perception is that marketing == spouting bullshit. I don't
believe that's true. I think having an informative, up-to-date,
stylistically consistent website would do a tremendous amount of good.

The JDBC one is a particularly bad example right now - it doesn't fit in
with any of the rest of the site and its most prominent link is to a
completely out-of-date list of compliance tests the driver fails. The
driver may have its flaws but it's a lot better than presented there.

IMHO these things make a difference to technical people as well as
suits. If that site and the MySQL JDBC driver's site were my first
impressions, I would be using MySQL.

The JDBC site is certainly not the only one with flaws. The main website
has this paragraph in <http://www15.us.postgresql.org/related.html>:
    For encrypted postgresql connections, Brett McCormick    (brett-public@speakeasy.org) has made a patch for
PostgreSQL   version 6.3.2 using SSL. Visit his info page for more information.

That's horribly obselete. In fact, I think a lot of the related projects
are. That's only two clicks away from the main page.

I'm volunteering to do work here. I could at the very least go through
the sites and make a longer list of things like this that I notice. If
they are public CVS somewhere, I can send patches. I saw that there's a
<http://wwwdevel.postgresql.org/>. What's going on with that? Is there
anything I can do to speed up its adoption? How will it affect the rest
of the sites?

Is this list the appropriate place to discuss the websites? or should I
take it to -advocacy? My impression here is that the two sites are
maintained separately and the people involved haven't interacted very
much. Is that accurate or no?

Thanks,
Scott