Re: Starting postmaster in rc.local/during bootup

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: Starting postmaster in rc.local/during bootup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3 Dec 2002 at 7:55, Chris Boget wrote:

> > > But as far as I can tell, PG doesn't have the --user option.  Is
> > > there some way like the above that I can start PG w/o giving
> > > user postgres a shell?
> > I don't know exactly but what happens if you specify something like /bin/true
> > as shell? Does that work?
>
> I've not heard of /bin/true as a shell.  But again, I'm still a linux newbie.  What
> I've set up for all the users on the system who I don't to give shell access to is
> /sbin/nologin

While I was thinking on that, I would say keeping shell for postgres user is a
good idea from maintenance POV. Afterall job is not over after database is
started and giving postgres user a shell is better than giving root access to
somebody unless you are the sysdba..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Rudin's Law:    If there is a wrong way to do something, most people will    do it
every time.Rudin's Second Law:    In a crisis that forces a choice to be made

Сообщение: Re: Starting postmaster in rc.local/during bootup
Сообщение: Re: Starting postmaster in rc.local/during bootup