Trouble starting server

От Barry Moore
Тема Trouble starting server
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I have a PostgreSQL 7.4.8 installation running on RedHat Enterprise 4
that I've been using for some time now, and haven't had any trouble
with.  Recently the system went down, and now I can't seem to restart
it.  I've tried running these commands as postgres user:

nohup postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data > /var/lib/pgsql/logfile 2>&1 &
and
pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -l /var/lib/pgsql/logfile

and they both reply that the 'postmaster successfully started', but
then in the logfile I find 'FATAL:  could not create lock file "/
tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied'.  And if I try to run
psql I get:

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

So with my minimal system admin skills I'm guessing that '/
tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432' is lock file where the system puts a lock on port
5432 for postmaster to listen, but the pg_ctl and postmaster commands
can't create that file because /tmp is writeable only by root (drwxr-
xr-x   11 root root  4096 Feb 16 11:06 tmp).  Of course I can't start
the postmaster as root, so I'm a bit perplexed as to what to do, and
why I never had this problem before.

Any suggestions.

Barry