Re: Free space mapping (was Re: Multi-Versions and Vacuum)

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Free space mapping (was Re: Multi-Versions and Vacuum)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
(mass snippage)
>The ever-growing tables
> that people are experiencing is somehow related to the new
> non-blocking vacuum and the value of the free space map settings...
>But if I understand now what you're saying, it's this: the vacuum
> _does_ get everything....

There is also a complicating effect when rows have toasted storage, which can prevent the space being freed (I think),
see hackers thread entitled something like "unbounded database growth".

I have set myself the task of examining this - but wish I had picked an easier 1st project :-(
- I am having to learn about vacuum, toasting ,freespace, and generally get to grips with the Pg code as well - just as
wellI have some free time at the moment...:-)

best wishes

Mark