Re: selecting multiple like-named columns

От David Link
Тема Re: selecting multiple like-named columns
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You may have denormalized your data, for example if you have one table
like this:

date | chicago_sales | ny_sales | boston_sales | etc

It may be more convenient to store it like this:

date | city | sales

then you can say

  select sales from table where city = 'ny';

or what you want by not specifying a filter:

  select sales from table;

or

  select sum(sales) from table;
  select sum(sales) from table where city in ('ny', 'chicago');

There is only one reason you may want to keep it denormalized  .. and
that is for performance if the report you need looks like the original
table above.