Re: Looking for types: phone number, email addresses

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Looking for types: phone number, email addresses
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 02:47:43PM +0100,
>  Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote
>  a message of 25 lines which said:
>
> > CHECK (phone ~ '^\\+33 [0-9]( [0-9]{2}){4}$')
> >
> > That's only good for French numbers, since only France uses that
> > grouping of digits for phone numbers.
>
> OK, let's check:
>
> CHECK (phone ~ '^\\+[0-9]+[ 0-9]+$')

Many phone systems here in the US use a central phone number and then
touch tone dialing for the extension you want to reach. Written it looks
like

+1 234 567-8901 x234

where the extension can have any number of digits (depends on the phone
system, usually 3 or 4).

Also since nearly all phones here have letters, it is very common to
give you easy to remember phone numbers like 1-800-UCALLME which in
reality is 1-800-822-5563.

I don't think that restricting it one way or the other is a good idea at
all. It doesn't prevent from entering the wrong number anyway, so what
good is it?

Jan