Re: dropping anonymous constraints

От Ben Liblit
Тема Re: dropping anonymous constraints
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Doug McNaught wrote:
> '\d' and friends in psql are just shorthand for queries against the
> system catalogs.  So you're not "stepping outside the language",
> really.

But the system catalogs' names and organization are themselves
PostgreSQL specific.  Presumably MySQL and Oracle and the other folks
don't have tables named "pg_relcheck", "pg_class", and so on.  They
probably provide the same facilities, but not in the same way.

I guess this is the part I find suprising: the non-standardization of
database meta-information.  SQL is great for getting information *out*
of a database, but seems to have a serious blind spot when it comes to
fetching information *about* a database.

{shrug}

In any case, thanks for the "psql -E" tip!

Сообщение: Re: table size growing out of control
Сообщение: Re: table size growing out of control