Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system

От Keith G. Murphy
Тема Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:15:02AM -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
>

>>I'd be careful about recommending this. Debian is notoriously behind in
>>versions in their stable tree.
>>

> While it's true that Debian doesn't tend to have the latest and
> greatest in stable (even right at the time stable comes out), the
> PostgreSQL maintainer (Oliver Elphick) for Debian is very quick to
> release .debs for stable for the most recent PostgreSQL release.  So
> the notoriety is not justified in this case.

I'm puzzled by that comment.  Stable has 6.5.3 right now.  The
maintainer is great, I agree, but it's just not Debian policy to keep
stable updated, beyond needed security fixes.

So seems to me Gregory Seidman was right.  Unless you consider 6.5.3
up-to-date.

In fact, I'll bet a lot of Debian PostgreSQL users are running the
'testing' version, or compiled a newer version of PostgreSQL from source.