Re: databases and RAID ...

От Kris Deugau
Тема Re: databases and RAID ...
Дата
Re: databases and RAID ...
Список pgsql-admin
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah." wrote:
> I am setting up a new database server.
> the data is critical that is why i am thniking
> to mirror the SCSI disks in RAID 1 configuration.
> I do not have a hardware raid controller.

If it's that critical, you would be wise to go buy a hardware RAID
controller.

> could anyone give me some pointer , or suggest me
> if its advisable to use RAID 1 with database servers.

Probably not a bad idea, with hardware;  the controller should be able
to stream the data across both disks without slowing down writes.
Software-based RAID may show slower performance as it must process the
command streams for *both* disks in the OS instead of offloading that
task to the controller... although if the disks are SCSI with a decent
SCSI card that should be minimal.

Note that if you're looking for a system you can hotswap, you will
probably need to go SCSI in any case;  I'm not aware of any
hotswap-capable IDE RAID systems.

-kgd
--
Money is overrated.