Re: importing csv files into v7.2.1 on Solaris 8 x86

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: importing csv files into v7.2.1 on Solaris 8 x86
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Russell,

I didn't know anyone still ran Solaris x86.  That used to be my
favourite OS until a very black day involving Sun.  :(  I've still got
the first CD of Solaris 9 INTEL OE which I'd downloaded before Sun
pulled the CD set from their download site.  :)

For backing up a PostgreSQL database, you'll probably want to do a live
backup with the pg_dump command.

i.e.:

pg_dump foo_database > foo_database.sql

To restore the database, you can use the psql command:

psql foo_database < foo_database.sql > /dev/null

Each of these two commands has a bunch of command line switches you can
use for various things.

psql --help and pg_dump --help work fine.

Hopefully when you compiled PostgreSQL you did it using these
instructions:

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/installguides.php#solaris

As you're new to PostgreSQL, these two links will probably be valuable
for you:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs (online version of the PostgreSQL 7.2.1
manual which is searchable, notes can be added, etc)

http://techdocs.postgresql.org (Lots of community contributed
documentation, guides, pointers, links, etc)

Hope this helps you out Russell.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift