importing csv files into v7.2.1 on Solaris 8 x86

От Russell Aspinwall
Тема importing csv files into v7.2.1 on Solaris 8 x86
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I recently compiled PostgreSQL v7.2.1 under Solaris 8 x86 (July 2001) in
order to use it to hold the contents of Firewall logs. I have automated
the Firewall log creation process and got them delivered to the intended
database server as csv text files. I have compiled v7.2.1 (straight
forward if you just include C, C++ support) but now need to write a
program to accept the csv log file and enter the record information.

Some newbie questions.

Is their a utility which will read a database table definition and
automatically import a csv format file expecting the fields to be in the
correct order as the table? I remember that Progress (c 1994) can dump
its database definition and database as text files which can then be
read by another version of Progress to automatically recreate the
database tables and populate the tables.

Can anyone recommend the best way to perform a backup of PostgreSQL on
Solaris.
Can I just shutdown PostgreSQL and perform a ufsdump of the disk on
which postgreSQL resides and restore onto a different disk or server as
necessary?

Regards

Russell