Re: Hierarchical Queries--Stalled No Longer...

От Anthony Molinaro
Тема Re: Hierarchical Queries--Stalled No Longer...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Josh, Great, thanks for the update.

> It's a major feature implementation if
> we want them to be at all worthwhile

agreed. SS 2005 added partial support for window functions
(can't create moving windows of aggregation, ie, the portion of the syntax the standard calls the "framing clause")
and I didn't like that.

Imho, that wasn't cool at all.
Either support these functions all the way or don't; halfway is silly.

Btw, some of my postgres reviewers, when they came across recipes
that used the new GENERATE_SERIES function, were quite happy
(in particular for pivoting so you don't need to have extra tableslying around).
It's a cool addition and I've gotten positive feedback from it.
So, whoever dreamt it up, nice job. :)

Thanks and regards, Anthony