Re: Quirks in driver and docs (Was: Re: No suitable driver found exception)

От Barry Lind
Тема Re: Quirks in driver and docs (Was: Re: No suitable driver found exception)
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Stefano,

Patches are always welcome (although until 7.2 gets out the door, they
are being held up, until the code line opens again for 7.3 changes).
For access to cvs there are instructions on the developer.postgresql.org
site.

Now to your questions:

> In Driver.java (prepared by ant for jdbc2), line 127, and 174, the URL
> is specified as jdbc:org.postgresql://host:port..., but instead the
> working version seems to be jdbc:postgresql://host..., so org.postgresql
> in the docs should be changed to postgresql. This could be the reason
> why Amanda gets no suitable driver exception. IIRC even a colleague of
> mine got into this, but we solved changing the URL.

This should be 'jdbc:postgresql://host...' the comments are wrong.

> Line 392: getLogStream has been deprecated, because under jak 1.2 gave
> deprecation warnings; this is correct as under jdk 1.2 the preferred
> method would be getLogWriter.

The problem here is that we build the same code under both jdk1.1 and
jdk1.2+ environments.  So any changes to this need to work in both
environments (or build tricks need to be applied to get things working
for both).

> Again in Driver.java, getPropertyInfo does not report that the user name
> is mandatory. This is useful for GUIs.

I agree that username should be reported as mandatory.

> In the abstract class Connection.java, the comment say that user and
> password are mandatory, but this is incorrect since if the password is
> missing an empty one is used. The comments don't go to the JavaDocs, but
> for code-diggers like me it is preferrable to have correct comments.

Password is not required.  The comments are incorrect.

thanks,
--Barry