Re: JDBC batching

От Barry Lind
Тема Re: JDBC batching
Дата
Re: JDBC batching  (Rene Pijlman <rene@lab.applinet.nl>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
Very strange.  I was sure this had been changed in 7.2.  I know there
was a discussion on how to change it on the mail lists, and I thought
that it had been done.  But I guess not.  (although other changes were
made to this code for 7.2, strange).

Anyway, if someone wants to submit a patch against current sources to
add this capability, that would certainly be welcome.  I would also
recommend looking back at the mail list archives for the discussion on
how this should be done, as there are some fine points about the jdbc
spec in this area that are not clear or obvious.  The biggest area of
problem is that if the batch is executed in one call, then the driver
will only get the result (i.e. rowcount) of the last statement in that
batch, instead of getting a result for each statement.  There were some
on the mail list that felt this would be a bug and therefore we couldn't
use a single roundtrip.  However I think upon careful reading of the
jdbc spec this is allowed, but you need to set some special codes that
indicate the result of a particular statement is unknown or something
like that.  This would be a change in behavior since the results of
executing a batch would be different than they currently are so both
methods may need to be supported to avoid breaking existing apps.

Sorry for giving you incorrect information about the status of this, but
I really did think it was already done.

thanks,
--Barry