Re: Maximum Performance

От Luis Amigo
Тема Re: Maximum Performance
Дата
Re: Maximum Performance Follow-up Question  ("Peter T. Brown" <peter@memeticsystems.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Jean Huveneers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Within an couple of weeks we will start using PostgreSQL on Mandrake 8.1
> in real business (we have been testing, for over a half year).
>
> In future we will have some tables with 100.000+ records an the system
> has te work very fast.
>
> I know that speed of querries depend much on the amount of availible RAM
> to PostgreSQL, the server will only run the databases. What amount is
> RAM is usefull (I meen, does Postgres use the RAM, if availible, up to 2
> GB)?
>
> I'm can chose for a Dual Athlon MP on a Tyan Thunder K7 motherbord, but
> does PostgreSQL use the 2 processors?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jean Huveneers

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

On my own experience I will tell you that if you're able to force postgres
to keep all database in memory it will be very fast, so memory only depends
on your
database size.
Each backend may run on a different processor, so the more processors u
have the more backends u can run at once
hope it helps

Вложения