Re: Intermediate report for AIX 5L port

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: Intermediate report for AIX 5L port
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Declaring the lock pointer "volatile" seems to prevent this misbehavior.

Great. That is what it is anyway, right?

> Personally I'd call this a compiler bug; isn't it supposed to consider
> semicolons as sequence points?  I never heard that rearranging the order
> of stores into memory was considered a kosher optimization of C code.

Sure it is. Presumably "-O0" or equivalent would have kept this from
happening, but seemingly unrelated stores into non-overlapping memory
are always fair game at even modest levels of optimization. The "x = 0"
is cheaper than the other operations, though it may be reordered for
internal RISC-y reasons rather than "cheapest first" considerations.
                     - Thomas