Re: cant alter/create tables via odbc

От Arian Prins
Тема Re: cant alter/create tables via odbc
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Peter,

Peter Pilsl schreef:

> not sure if this is the right place to ask, cause I dont know if my
> problems are postgres-related or ms-access-related.

defenitely MS-Access

> I want give some privilieged users give direct access to some
> postgresql-databases via a ms-access-frontend.

> I'm not able
> to alter or create tables in the database. I just got the error:
> "access cant do changes on linked tables".

Access just links to your table. In a way it is "able to use" your table.
Not more. You cannot alter the table-design through Access. That is quite
logical, because table design allways is something propretary for every
database. Datatypes can be different... etc. I do have 2 tips:
1. You _can_ export a table from Access to postgresql. So if you want to
create a new table, you can design it as a local Access-table and then
export the (empty) table into postgresql. It's a *rough* export though....
as I remember... no indexes are created and primary-keys aren't defined.
2. Use the Win32 admin-tool. I can't remember it's name but it's there on
the net somewhere... and it gives users a nice graphical interface to the
db.

Arian.