Re: [patch] helps fe-connect.c handle -EINTR more gracefully

От David Ford
Тема Re: [patch] helps fe-connect.c handle -EINTR more gracefully
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

>After further thought, though, it's unclear to me why this solves
>David's problem.  If he's got a repeating SIGALRM on a cycle short
>enough to interrupt a connect(), seems like it'd just fail again
>on the next try.

Ok, a few things.  The connect() call is just an interface to the
kernel.  Sometimes a connect() to a socket may take a long time, even up
to two minutes (or depending on your kernel's timeout), so it isn't
unfeasible that the call can be interrupted.  Next, the userland
connect() is interrupted but the kernel isn't.  The kernel keeps working
it and eventually completes or aborts the connection attempt.  It then
sets the data structures and values so the next time userland comes
alive it's ready for it.  The connect() call doesn't restart at the
beginning, it continues where it left off.

David