Re: Does Postgresql 7.1.x Still Have 8K Maximum Field Size?

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: Does Postgresql 7.1.x Still Have 8K Maximum Field Size?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Philip,

The version 7.1 series of PostgreSQL doesn't have the 8k limitation,
it's now limited to a maximum of 1GB per field.  Version 7.1.3 is the
latest release (the recommended and most stable version), and we'll soon
be beginning beta testing of the 7.2 series (don't use this for
production projects until it's finalised).

You can download the latest RPM's of PostgreSQL for RedHat 7.1 from the
PostgreSQL ftp sites (www.postgresql.org lists the mirrors).

A direct URL is :

ftp://postgresql.wavefire.com/pub/binary/v7.1.3/RPMS/redhat-7.1/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Philip wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I will be creating one of my first web applications and would like to use Postgresql as the database on a Red Hat 6.2
or7.1 system with Apache and either ColdFusion or PHP.

> Anyway, the application will have a text field where employees can update their progress on assigned tasks.  By the
timea task is completed, the field may exceed 8k.  I am not a person who likes to compile from tarball's because
trainingnon-Linux experienced fellow system administrators to use RPMs is enough.  Updates are easier as well.

> The question:  Is it possible to have a text field greater than 8k but only using RPMs -- not compiling and/or
chainingvia a separate table (breaking something into 8k chunks)?  If so, how?