Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

От Ashley Cambrell
Тема Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:>>><snip>>>>><snip>>>Another possibility, given that any app using a feature
likethis is>nonportable anyway, is to extend the INSERT statement along the lines>that someone (maybe Larry R?  I
forgetnow) proposed before:>>    INSERT INTO foo ... RETURNING x,y,z,...>>where x,y,z, etc are expressions in the
variablesof the inserted>tuple(s).  This could be made to look like a SELECT at the protocol>level, which would mean
thatit wouldn't break client libraries or>require a protocol bump, and it's *way* more flexible than any>hardwired
decisionabout what columns to return.  It wouldn't have>any problem with multiple tuples inserted by an INSERT ...
SELECT,>either.>

This would be a good thing (tm).  I use Oracle quite extensively as well
as PG and Oracle's method of "RETURNING :avalue" is very good for
returning values from newly inserted rows.

There was some talk a while back about [not?] implementing variable
binding.  This seems to become very closely related to that. It would
seem to solve the problem of having a unique identifier returned for
inserts.  I'm sure it would please quite a few people in the process,
especially ones moving across from Oracle.  (kill two birds with one stone)
>>     regards, tom lane>

Ashley Cambrell

Сообщение: Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Сообщение: Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)