Re: Use of the LIMIT clause ?

От Spy
Тема Re: Use of the LIMIT clause ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Tom Lane a écrit :

> Richard Bayet <bayet@enseirb.fr> writes:
> > I did knew about this, but the author goes further about the "limit
> > N,P", which allows someone to get only results between the Nth and Pth
> > lines of the whole result...
>
> Is that actually how MySQL interprets two parameters?  We treat them
> as count and offset respectively, which definition I thought was the
> same as MySQL's.

Well, it looks like the web site I read the piece of information from
was mistaking...
But MySQL's syntax is different, as found on
http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/E/SELECT.html :
"SELECT [STRAIGHT_JOIN] [SQL_SMALL_RESULT] [SQL_BIG_RESULT]
[SQL_BUFFER_RESULT]
[...]
        [LIMIT [offset,] rows]"

> > I tried this with psql, but couldn't get anything but parse errors.
>
> Works for me:
>
> regression=# select unique1 from tenk1 limit 10;
>  unique1
> ---------
>     8800
>     1891
>     3420
>     9850
>     7164
>     8009
>     5057
>     6701
>     4321
>     3043
> (10 rows)
>
> regression=# select unique1 from tenk1 limit 3,5;
>  unique1
> ---------
>     8009
>     5057
>     6701
> (3 rows)
>
> regression=#
>
> What PG version are you running?

I'm using v.7.0.2, and the above examples worked for me :)
When I tried using the LIMIT clause the first times, to obtain the same
results, I would have tried "select unique1 from tenk1 limit 5,8", ie
"limit start, stop"
Then I would have got :
  unique1
 ---------
     4321
     3043
 (2 rows)

What I tried and didn't work was the same as "select unique1 from tenk1
limit 5,10" (in my mind, getting the five last rows)...

Thanks for your help