Re: Re: MySQL and BerkleyDB (fwd)

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Re: MySQL and BerkleyDB (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Re: cross-database joins

> However, I *think* that it could be done by another tool, such as
> Easysoft's (Nick Gorham's, I think) SQL Engine, which allows for joins
> between any ODBC-reachable tools. This tool is unreasonably expensive
> for private use ($800 + $200/year mandatory maintainance). A PostgreSQL
> alternative would be, IMSAO, a huge benefit, even huger if able to
> cross-join with ODBC data sources ...
>
> M$ Access has this, since version 1, and that's a hell of a handy
> feature for a lot of cases involving management of multiple data sources

You should probably use some front-end tools for most of it (I'd
recommend
Zope - http://www.zope.org/ )

Or you could try to make something up starting from Gadfly (an
all-python
SQL databse engine) that is included with zope and also available
separately.

> I have to tell that my daily work involves this kind of problems, with
> data sources ranging from SAS datasets under MVS/XA to Excel files to
> Oracle databases to younameit ... That's the kind of problem I would
> *love* to have PostgreSQL to cope with, and *not* M$ Access ...

OTOH, much of it could be done if postgres functions could return
datasets,
which is planned for not too distant future.

Hannu