Re: Beta2 ... ?

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: Beta2 ... ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Is there a clearing house for packages?  I have made some for OpenBSD
> > (www.crimelabs.net/postgresql.shtml),  but I wouldn't even know where to
> > get the rpm or deb files.  Should there be a folder on the ftp server for
> > packages for the betas?
> The RPMs are on the FTP server.
> In general I feel that packaging is left up to the operating system
> distributor.  So your OpenBSD packages should be sent to the respective
> port maintainer.  The RPMs are treated somewhat differently because they
> are platform independent and a lot of people are interested in getting
> betas in RPM form -- and not least importantly also because someone has
> taken the time to do it on a regular basis.  The RPMs that are on the
> various Linux distribution CDs are still customized by the respective
> vendor.

Although packages should of course be sent to the port maintainer, I'm
sure that in general that they would be welcome on ftp.postgresql.org
also. The RPMs have greater visibility because we have taken the time to
evolve the packaging (and because the packaging needed a good bit of
work on the system I had at the time, so what the heck ;) and certainly
they have benefited from Lamar's attention over the last months.

Other packages would potentially be in the same circumstances: if they
are packaged by someone familiar with the package itself, they will
become better than if they are packaged by someone only familiar with
packaging. Certainly every package done by someone active on these lists
(e.g. Oliver with Debian) is of high quality and has benefited from
their knowledge of PostgreSQL.

I'm not sure what the case is for OpenBSD specifically, but you may want
to talk more with the "official maintainer" if that isn't yourself...
                     - Thomas