Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre

От fabrizio.ermini@sysdat.it
Тема Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Yes, this was my point.  We now have TOAST, but by not going the extra
> mile to enable storage of binary files, we really aren't taking full
> advantage of our new TOAST feature.
>
> I can see people saying, "Wow, you can store rows of unlimited length
> now.  Let me store this jpeg.  Oh, I can't because it is binary!"

Well, to me it seems that, when TOAST will be available (i.e. when
the looooong awaited, most desired, more bloated, world-
conquering 7.1 version will come-out...), 90% of the work it is
already done to support also column-style BLOBs... at least for
web applications, that are incidentally my focus.
Any web programmer worth its salt could put up a simple layer that
does base64 encode/decode and use "CLOBs" (I think TOAST
columns could be called that way, right?)... and he should write
anyway some interface for file uploading/downloading, since its
client are using a browser as their frontend. Using PHP, it's no
more than a few rows of code.

Granted, base64 encode can waste a LOT of space, but it looks
like a columbus' egg in this scenario.

Maybe base64 could also be a quick way to write a binary "patch"
for TOAST so it would be binary-compatible "natively"?

Or am I saying a lot of bullsììt? :-)

Just wanted to share some toughts.
Merry Christmas to everybody...

Fabrizio Ermini               Alternate E-mail:
C.so Umberto, 7               faermini@tin.it
loc. Meleto Valdarno          Mail on GSM: (keep it short!)
52020 Cavriglia (AR)          faermini@sms.tin.it

От: Jens Hartwig
Сообщение: Re: deletion of records before commit doesn't work
От: Peter T Mount
Сообщение: Re: Large files on linux