Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > What I think we _really_ need is a large object interface to TOAST data.
> > We already have a nice API, and even psql local large object handling.
> >
> > If I have a file that I want loaded in/out of a TOAST column, we really
> > should make a set of functions to do it, just like we do with large
> > objects.
> >
> > This an obvious way to load files in/out of TOAST columns, and I am not
> > sure why it has not been done yet.  I am afraid we are going to get
> > critisized if we don't have it soon.
>
>     Okay, let me criticize you now then :)  (just kidding)  Over the past
> month I've been trying out postgre for two reasons.  I've posted a
> number of questions to this mailing list, and the postgre community has
> been extremely responsive and helpful.  Kudos to everybody working on
> postgre.  Most of my questions have been along the line of asking why a
> particular feature works differently then in other databases, or why
> postgre seemed to act in an illogical fashion (such as corrupting my
> database).

Yes, this was my point.  We now have TOAST, but by not going the extra
mile to enable storage of binary files, we really aren't taking full
advantage of our new TOAST feature.

I can see people saying, "Wow, you can store rows of unlimited length
now.  Let me store this jpeg.  Oh, I can't because it is binary!"

Сообщение: Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre
Сообщение: Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre