Postgresql on Solais 7

От Fausto Guzzetti
Тема Postgresql on Solais 7
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello PostsgreSQL community,

I just subscribed to the list to get information on PostsgreSQL on Sun Solaris 7.

We would like to transfer our databases (currently on Sybase) into PostsgreSQL.

We have currently our databases on a Sun Ultra Sparc 5 running Solaris 7. Are there
binaries versions available for PostsgreSQL 7.X for Solaris 7?
If not, what will I need to install the source code? Which compilers should I use?
How difficult it is to install PostsgreSQL 7.X under Solaris 7? What level of expertise you
really need (if you haven't  got it yet ... we are not very good at this business ...)

I understand that PostsgreSQL 7.X supports ODBC. Where can we get them? How it works.
Ideally, we would like to use the ODBC to do maintenance and update of our DBs from a
windows machine. Most of the people that provides data to us use personal computers with
windows and MS Access.

Any idea, suggestion or experience on the best way to migrate from an external (in this
case Sybase) DBS to PostsgreSQL 7.X? Since most (but not all) our databases are not very
large (10.000 records in each table, 5-20 tables) we were thinking of connecting the old
and new database via ODBC. Is this possible?

When we will have our data into PostsgreSQL (if ever !?) we would like to query them
through HTML pages. We are thinking of using PHP.
Is this reasonable?. Is there anything peculiar we should know when installing PostsgreSQL
for this use?

Any help will really be appreciated.

Regards, Fausto Guzzetti

--